Dental Crowns Are Incredibly Beneficial. Here’s Why
People with dental issues, specifically damaged teeth, will need to get them addressed quickly. They will usually lead to a lot of discomfort that tends to be persistent and annoying. There can be a number of ways to address it, as long as you see your dentist.
At that point, you will likely benefit from dental crowns.
What Are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns have been around for years on end. Dentists use them quite often because they’re great for teeth that need support. It’s usually when they’ve been affected due to injury or decay.
They’re generally customized on a case-to-case basis, depending on the patient. Dental crowns are customized for tooth coverage that go above a person’s gum line. The tooth that gets covered doesn’t just look better, but its lifespan improves also. Many professional-grade materials go into crowns, which means no matter the shape and color of the tooth, it can be matched just fine.
Popular materials include:
- Ceramic – These are usually a natural color match compared to other crown types. When a patient has metal allergies, this will suit them well.
- Metal – Crowns of this nature have alloys with a high platinum or gold content. Alternatively, cobalt-chromium and nickel-chromium alloys are involved. These are alloys that are considered “base-metal.” Teeth aren’t worn away by this material, thanks to a fracture-resistant, strong bond.
- Zirconia – Similar to titanium, zirconium dioxide is a durable metal that is used for zirconia crowns. This is easily the most used material when making dental crowns. It’s a great choice due to how durable and strong it is.
How Does It Work?
As previously mentioned, these generally look like tooth enamel. Their lifespan will be able to resist years on end of wear and tear. Before a crown is put in, however, the tooth’s size is reduced by the dentist. It’s a key step in fitting the crown comfortably well.
An impression of the mouth will then be made as a model for the crown’s creation. In the meantime, a temporary crown will be given. The permanent one will likely be put in around two weeks later. It will be cemented to the tooth.
What Are Some of the Top Benefits of Dental Crowns?
- Discomfort is Alleviated – As previously mentioned, when teeth are damaged, they can lead to recurring discomfort. Dental crowns protect a tooth’s sensitive tissues and address pain by preserving the natural structure.
- Teeth Appear Healthy and Give Off a Winning Smile Again – Many dental situations can lead to teeth not looking their best at all. This includes cracks, chips, crooked teeth, discoloration, misshapen teeth, staining, and so much more. Dental crowns are a cosmetic benefit that restores confidence in a person’s smile.
Dental crowns are a great tool for dentists to help patients with dental issues. They are usually made of materials like ceramic, metal, and zirconia. Benefits include alleviating discomfort from damaged teeth, helping teeth to appear healthy, and allowing patients to have a winning smile again.
Are you in need of a dentist in Murfreesboro, Tennessee who can help you with dental crowns? Cosmetic Dentistry Murfreesboro has 25 years of experience collectively! We give our clients the solutions they need for a brighter, dazzling smile. Schedule an appointment with us today!